News & Updates
“A leading organization of homeopathy consumers has petitioned the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to adopt a set of rules governing homeopathic medicines that do a far better job of protecting consumer interests than the agency’s proposed rules released for comment late last year.
The FDA’s proposed rules, called “draft guidance,” would create an enforcement regime that fails to distinguish between properly manufactured and labeled homeopathic medicines, which are inherently safe, and those which are improperly labeled and which do not meet homeopathic standards.
If adopted, this guidance could lead to the removal of many popular homeopathic
medicines from the market. The FDA would be abandoning decades of practice and policy that treat homeopathic medicines as unique drugs requiring a unique approach to regulation. . .” Read the full Citizen Petition Statement
Notice to CPD Providers:
ACHENA is aware that many valuable webinars are being developed to help homeopaths navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. We are also aware of the urgency to disseminate this information to the community and how this has left most providers to not consider applying for ACHENA approval of these webinars, understandably so!
We typically ask that applications for CPD approval be submitted 60 days in advance of the webinar. However, with the urgency we are experiencing in educating the community on this topic, this timeline is not reasonable.
Therefore, any CPD application for a webinar relating to COVID-19 will be fast-tracked with a one week turn around for no additional fee. Additionally, these webinars will temporarily have a separate listing on the ACHENA website as long as this crisis persists.
We feel this is a necessary service to the community during this time and hope this will assist our CPD Providers in reaching the widest audience possible.
Please note we will continue to look closely at course content and learning objectives for these webinars to ensure quality and appropriateness for the professional homeopath while navigating this crisis.
As always, application forms can be found on the RESOURCES PAGE of this website.
Finally, everyone at ACHENA would like to extend our sincere gratitude to each and every teacher, student, and practitioner in our homeopathy community who is going above and beyond to respond to this crisis.
- ACHENA operates largely on a virtual basis already, with our Commissioners and reviewers scattered geographically throughout the US and Canada. This means our day-to-day operations are unlikely to be affected.
- The activity ACHENA foresees that might require modification within the next few months is our ability to conduct site visits. If your school moves forward in the accreditation process and is determined to be ready for a site visit, it may be necessary to make arrangements that do not involve Site Visit Teams traveling to your school. We will inform you if this becomes necessary.
- If your school holds either regular or intermittent in-person classes and in order to protect your students, staff and faculty, we ask that you take precautions to guard against the spread of COVID-19 that are appropriate for educational institutions and workplaces in your locality and relevant for the size, location and type of facility used. You could consider asking members of your school community to immediately inform the school if they develop symptoms of fever, dry cough and shortness of breath. You might also wish to consider conversion to audio-video conferencing instead of in-person classes.
- Regardless of whether your school runs in-person, blended or distance-learning program(s), we ask that you inform students, staff and faculty to take appropriate individual self-care measures commensurate with guidelines issued by state/province, county and/or municipal Health Departments that can help protect them from contracting COVID-19, and remind them that these information sources need to be monitored frequently. Due to varied known susceptibilities to this virus, be sure to inform your school community that additional self-care and protective measures may need to be taken by individuals who are older than 60yo and/or have certain chronic health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes or lung disease.
- If your school runs an in-person clinic, we ask that you take appropriate measures issued by your state/province, county and local Health Departments for health care facilities. Please take into account reporting requirements where relevant, as well as other precautions appropriate for your locality and stage of the outbreak. Based on these assessments, it may be advisable to convert your clinic to audio-video conferencing.
ACHENA recently approved a new and ambitious 3-Year Strategic Plan, which followed a retreat held to map out next steps for 2019 to 2021. Part of this Plan focuses on gaining initial recognition as an accrediting agency by the US Department of Education, a vital step on the path to further professionalize the practice of homeopathy. Additionally, the Plan mostly centers on implementing best practices of accrediting agencies as we strive to carry out our mission to assure educational excellence in our discipline.
How can you help? Initial recognition by the US Department of Education entails significant costs, and we need support from all of our stakeholders: practitioners, educators, students and lovers of homeopathy. Please contact us if our Strategic Plan 2019-2021 inspires you to offer your assistance as a Commissioner, Peer Reviewer or donor. Let’s work together to help move our profession forward!
ACHENA accredited schools have successfully demonstrated that they meet peer reviewed standards of excellence in homeopathic education and training. Homeopathic students and the larger homeopathic community will further benefit when ACHENA, as an accreditation agency, successfully demonstrates to the USDE that they have achieved nationally reviewed standards of excellence. ACHENA will continue to function as an independent, peer-monitored agency with established standards of due process and transparency. A USDE recognized, ACHENA accredited homeopathic school becomes eligible for federal student loans, student visas and other funding on behalf of the students they serve, including consumer protections under the law. For more information about nationally recognized accreditation for colleges of higher education, visit the U.S. Department of Education.
Thank you for supporting ACHENA by getting involved!
Please partner with ACHENA and give generously to help homeopathic education prosper and continue to grow stronger. Your tax-deductible donation supports our mission to improve the quality of homeopathic education programs and improve consumer protection.